Sunday, October 16, 2011

Moments

I've had a couple of lovely moments (and one amusing one) this weekend and I want to record them.


First, on Friday, I attempted to take a nap and ended up laying on the bed sort of half-dozing for about an hour and a half.  Animal and traffic noise kept me awake, I think.  Eventually I shut the window but by then it was too late.  When I finally ended up bringing myself out of my half-slumber and listening with more intent to the whining dog and meowing cat outside my bedroom door, I found myself thinking, "I should go out there.  They're lonely.  I should get up and do something."  But I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do than lie there and look at the sky out my window.  There was something about that sky.  The moment (which ended up lasting about 15 minutes, which was lovely) reminded me of when I used to sit in my bedroom window seat in high school and look out over my mom's garden and our neighbor's backyard.  I would sit there for half an hour or an hour at a time sometimes, just thinking.  It was so peaceful and it was a space that was all mine.  A while ago I mentioned to Mark that I'd like to turn a corner of his dresser (which sits directly underneath our bedroom window) into a space like that for me again.  I haven't actually taken myself up on that suggestion yet, though.  And on Friday our bed turned into my 15-minute window seat.  There was just something...surreal? about the sky and all I wanted to do was lie there and look at it.


view from my bed

 Then, last night, after a shopping trip to Trader Joe's where the sample of the day was creamy tomato soup, I made this for dinner:


 Mmmm, just looking at it makes me want to make it again...it was very simple yet very good.  Trader Joe's Creamy Tomato Soup with basil on top, their Three Seed Sourdough Bread with white cheddar cheese, fried in butter.  
Yum.

Then tonight I had my amusing moment.  Grad school = cooking on top of homework:


I wish you could see better all the papers that are hidden under that foil, but you get the picture.  *sigh*  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment