Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I'm finally one of those people

I've never been someone who gets melancholy during the holidays.  I've always loved Christmas, no matter how stressed out I get myself over presents or parties or traveling.  This year I'm not stressed, but I am a little melancholy.  Who knew?

For the most part, I'm happy in California.  I have a good job, I enjoy my classes and about a week after I moved here I just happened to meet the love of my life.  My cat is happy and healthy, and so am I.  I feel successful, and I am slowly making friends.

That's what I miss, though - my real friends.  And my family.  Christmas is the time you're supposed to be with your loved ones.  I think maybe I'm given to fits of melancholy in general, because I always feel like I should be happier, especially when I think about all the good things in my life.  And like I said, I do like it here.  I'm happy that I moved here.  I just miss the people back in Minnesota.  It took me ten years to build the friendships I left there, and nothing here can compare to that (Yet.  Hopefully someday.). 

I also kind of miss snow.  Of course I had to move right before one of the biggest blizzarding winters in Minnesota history.  I kind of would've liked to experience that.

I hope it isn't more hard and sad than happy and exciting when I go back to visit.  It will have been almost a year after moving before I can make it back.  Well, we'll see.  However it is, it will be good.  I just wanted to say to everyone back in the frozen tundra - I miss you guys.  I hope you're all happy and healthy as well, and that you have a beautiful Christmas.  Don't forget the most important part - to love and enjoy your favorite people.  Try not to get too caught up in the holiday stress and let it become an unhappy time that you dread.  If you're stressed about getting people the right presents, just buy 23 bottles of wine and you'll be set.  You can tell them all you found it at some tiny winery that you can't even remember the name of (they do have some of those in Minnesota!), and they'll assume it's expensive instead of $5 at Trader Joe's.  :)

I love you all!  I'm going to try to create my own little Christmas that will be as wonderful as I can possibly make it, but in the meantime I'll just try to cheer myself up a bit by imagining that you're all going to come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment